cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333 View Post
Yep, I know, which is why I'd find a better route / location to tour. I suppose one could cache supplies (gallon milk jugs) like you do when you hike the John Muir trail. How bad do you want it?
San Juan County is heavily mined but there are still some pristine places. As I said above, as long as there are fish in the water, you can generally assume the water is safe enough.

I can also see the allure of the route that TimothyH is proposing. I plan on doing parts of it myself this summer. It's not a complete poisonous hell hole. Just parts of it.

Note to TimothyH: Put aside some time in Silverton to visit the Mayflower Mill...you'll be going right past it...it's a mill for metal extraction that worked from the late 1800 to the early 1990s. It's not a museum and it's as if the workers just got off work. Really fascinating to see how metals were extracted from the ore.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.