Old 03-05-19, 11:09 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
I read the Silmarillion once or twice when I was in high school, skimmed it just this past weekend considering picking up a copy for my kids, decided against. I read LOTR several times as a teen. Looking back decades later it's really only the Hobbit that still bears revisiting to me.
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
I've read the Hobbit and LOTR several times when I was younger also. I even read The Children of Hurin a couple years ago without issue. Gondolin was just different.
Coincidentally I just started re-reading The Hobbit again for the first time in probably 20 years--I was inspired because I started watching the Peter Jackson movies while on my trainer this weekend. The movies are... ok, just ok.

In high school I plowed through the Silmarillion and a bunch of the Lost Tales that were published in the 90s or so by Christopher Tolkein. They were frustrating. Christopher was not the writer that his father was, and the lost tales were largely unfinished and unrefined. For completists only.

I've made a point to read more this year -- I was a real book worm as a kid but adulthood and graduate school and my current career killed my desire to read for a while. This year I've also really enjoyed City of Brass and Kingdom of Copper by S.A. Chakraborty and the Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers. Also catching up on some classics like Great Gatsby and various Mark Twain writings. It's been refreshing.