Old 03-05-19, 09:23 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
When I converted a bonus room into a couple bedrooms in 2002, I took the opportunity to pull Cat 5e wire to all bedrooms, office and family room. Home runs to a patch panel in a closet, where I also installed 110 outlets, POTS phone lines (used to use DSL) and a cable home run from there to the cable POD. My wife's and my desktops are hardwired, along with the TV, two laser printers and my VOIP office phone via an 8 port wired router. I use a separate WiFi router (DHCP turned off since the wired router is upstream and handles it) for my laptop, our phones and iPads.

Works well.

Edit - I have a friend that installed the Google Mesh home network. He needed high wifi bandwidth for his Tesla in the garage.
not much beats a wired run. I have a pull to the garage from the switch In my spare room — the PA220 firewall and the ESX cluster both live in there,,behind the cable modem. The Cisco 1252 is in the garage, but i ended up with powerline to my office above the garage.

Somedays, I think I might be a geek. I have a Cacti instance on one VM, my mail server on another, a DNS/DHCP server and then. Samba system that will eventually be a central auth for WPA-Enterprise on the Wi-Fi and for the windows systems. I need to add a third NUC. .plus the AP only does 802.11n, so I need to decide if I wait for AX OR ‘settle’ for A

in other news, or is raining at the RSA conference and I have no bike