View Single Post
Old 03-05-19, 10:06 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have visited their store(s) a few times - I wish every bike shop was as friendly and helpful as Riv. I came in looking at handlebars for a non Riv bike and they were so well-informed. Whether it meant buying from them or not. One time I saw a woman come in with a 1940s or 1950s bike needing some service - they tried to help - even though it was a tricky issue.

If that is what is "better" for most riders - that is probably why the number of riders is stuck in slow gear. Not everyone wants to wear special clothes and shoes to go out for a bike ride.

I test rode a Clem, Cheviot and Betty Foy over various periods. All 3 rode nicely and were pretty speedy (especially compared to my then bike a Public C8i). They were comfy, practical and just really great all around bikes. I considered them, but really I am #teamIGH . Also Riv bikes are so tall, long and big. They are just giant bikes. I realize I like smaller bikes a little lower to the ground. They are very much like the bike version of a Cadillac.

Quite a few people around have Rivs, I see them out and about when I am on the streets. They always catch my eye. Well equipped and beautifully finished.
I've have yet to see a Clem, Cheviot or a Betty Foy in real life, the only Riv bike I've seen is an Atlantis (model before they went with that very weird arch shaped double top tube) and it wasn't tall, long and big, but it was a beautiful bike, the guy riding it said the same thing you said, it's a Cadillac of the bikes. The build, the fancy lugs, the paint was just perfect, and you don't see fancy lugs like that at all in real life. The only problem with Riv bikes is that he touts them as touring bikes but in reality their not, their mostly fancy commuter bikes, or credit card touring bikes, real touring bikes will have a couple of water bottle cage mounts on the fork and another cage mount on the underside of the downtube, none of the Riv bikes have any of those, and when touring water is of prime importance. None of his bikes are really made to haul around an additional 65 or so pounds of touring gear. I'm kind of surprised that Grant hasn't made a true touring bike, I think he would have a decent selling bike if he did.