Old 03-06-19, 12:20 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82/82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 89 Basso PR

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc View Post
Sad to hear about the fatalities and the NYC cycling situation. I'm not sure if I'd be a bike commuter there or not. I have it quite easy compared to y'all. But I do get trucks and cars going by at 30mph faster than I am going. Guess it's what you get used to.
I'm not sure which is worse, high speed traffic flying by on a suburban or rural rode, or more congested (but slower) city streets. I don't have too much experience with the former, but considering how many distracted drivers are out there I would find it unnerving.

In the city I think it's more about reckless driving than distracted driving (although you see plenty of that from Uber drivers staring at their phones), but at least you can get to know the potential 'hot-spots' where extra caution is needed, as well as those safer areas where you can relax and concentrate a little more on your riding.

That's why riding over the bridge is usually the best part of my commute, especially later in the evening. It's bike and pedestrian only, and on the uphill portion you can really ride as hard as you can without reaching a reckless speed or having any trouble.