View Single Post
Old 03-07-19, 06:53 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Trek Remedy 9.8, Rivendell Appaloosa, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Trek Fuel Ex, Riv Atlantis, Niner Sir9, Trek Crockett

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5713 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post

For their intended purpose Rivendell is perfect albeit pricey. The head tube and rim brakes work perfectly. I ride in the rain and have NEVER had a problem with cantilever brakes. Manufacturers played up disc brakes to sell more bikes. Rim brakes and 1” head tubes get the job done. You’re doing yourself a real disservice by not trying one out.
The one issue I have on their new Gus Boots is the lack of discs. For a trail bike with wide tires and wide rims, discs make all the sense in the world and I really don't get sticking with cantis on that bike. It will take some clever routing of the rear brake cable for the brake too...I just don't get it. Plus, they are going to have to source a new rim for the bike if they plan on using 3" tires they want to, because they insist on sticking with canti bosses. My appaloosa has v brakes currently, which is fine. They work well and are relatively easy to set up (not as easy as Paul Klampers though). I do not mind using rim brakes, but I do believe discs are better in most applications.