Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
@Heathpack and @Carbonfiberboy, that you took the time to reply in detail means more to me than you know. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Being a (former) runner, I do this habitually without even thinking of it.

Bikepacking in the Colorado Rockies. Intensity is dependent on the grade at any given moment and my own ability. Walking a bike loaded with camping gear is a given. I'm OK with that.

For reference, I would do a longer version of The Alpine Loop, Colorado - BIKEPACKING.com including Telluride and maybe the Last Dollar loop.

The phrase "Less bad" hit home. That's really what I'm after.
Wow, what a great trip. A riding buddy rode the world's highest road, ~18,000' in the Himalaya - in his 70s. IME walking is worse as long as riding is possible. Low gears. 22 X 34 at 70 cadence on an MTB is 4 mph. We've once had to ride until panting, rest for about a minute, ride until panting, etc. We thought that was better than walking. I ride as long as I can turn the cranks.

OTOH, wheeling a bike up an untracked mountainside is another matter. Of course one would walk (and breathe really hard). Bikepacking, you should be able to get the gear under 25 lbs. Plus food of course.