Old 03-07-19, 03:23 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Don't overthink it. I was curious as to what is the most recent bike that is more than 15 years old that forum members have in their collection. Listing multiple bikes is not forbidden, and if your most modern vintage is 50 years old, display it.

However, I'd like to limit newer bikes. I have multiple carbon bikes that are very recently produced. That's not what this thread is about.
Ah, now I see. I was also confused about the idea here. My newest bike that is still pre-2005 is my 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires. I've updated this to more modern components (Shimano 105 5700 series) but I think this bike still has the feel of a classic/vintage bike, at least showing kinship with bikes of the 80's due to it's steel tubes and threaded headset. It was a mid-to-entry-level LeMond, but still sports Reynolds 853 main tubes and a carbon fork (made thin like a steel fork, which probably should scare me more than it does). The head-tube mounted cable stops and oversized downtube preclude downtube shifters. I think this originally had 5500 series 105 components and was even available with a triple crankset, so I've maintained continuity.

Approaching from the other end, my "most modern" bike than is actually vintage with an almost period-correct build while picking up newer features is my 1987 Serotta Colorado with 8-speed indexed downtube Campy Veloce shifters and Serotta's ahead-of-its-time Colorado Concept tubing.

I indulged a bit in the brakes, jumping forward to Potenza dual-pivot calipers. This bike had first generation Syncro shifters when I got it, so the update to Syncro II Veloce shifters was only a small step forward. Let's not talk about the triple crankset on a bike with KoM colors.