View Single Post
Old 03-08-19, 06:20 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
I'm sure they're fine. It's a solid, budget, low level disc brake that works well enough just like most other brakes on the market. My standard v-brakes have far more power than I absolutely need. My mini v-brakes have good stopping power and lock up a little too easily during the occasional panic stop. Old school rx100 and 105 dual pivots were very good two (edit: THREE) decades ago. Discs are unnecessary for at least 90% of road riders.

The dedicated, higher mileage, big ticket bike riders on the forum aren't representative of cyclists on the whole either here in the US or anywhere else in the world. Worldwide, 95-99% of riders are well served by standard brakes. On the other hand, anyone who rides frequently in rainy and/or muddy conditions are well served by disc brakes.

As always be aware of the tradeoffs: additional weight, aerodynamics penalty, heavier frame and fork required in addition to components. An additional possibility of being cut (chainrings and discs), rotors can overheat and injure if you touch them accidentally, and if you squeeze too hard (far easier with discs esp. hydraulic), you may be taking a different type of ride. An aerial ride over your bars that is.

For road bikes, discs are overkill. You don't need a forklift to eat a caesar's salad. Choose the right tool for the job.
Based on this logic we'd all be riding Pennyfarthing highwheelers, or Sears balloon tire beach cruisers. Beware of cycling overkill! 😱