Old 03-09-19, 06:36 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I guess my breaking the tension spring in my daughter's Super Grand Prix bike last weekend. I can't believe it broke and think it may have been stressed before and my hand pressure crank turning while working on it was just the final straw. The front derailleur had one of those outer pant protector rings on it that was bent into the large ring so I took that off and adjusted the rear derailleur to where it now shifted to all cogs from the small front ring. Working on the front derailleur it had been on the small ring so long it didn't even want to move, so plenty of lubricant got it moving. Somehow it jammed while still on the stand and I was really surprised & disappointed to see the rear derailleur go limp. I'm pretty new to wrenching and I was hoping to get together with @3speedslow this w/e for a wrench-fest but a schedule conflict came up.

It's a Raleigh branded SunTour according to Law, anyone have any advice or YouTube links on replacing a tension spring? I found one from RJ the bike guy but it was a more modern derailleur. Here's a couple of pics of the bent ring and rear derailleur -- help !

I don't think that was a dumb mistake, just life as we know it. BTDT. Start a separate thread and we can help. No reason to bury that help in this thread.