View Single Post
Old 03-09-19, 07:23 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
Here is a question T-Mar might be able to answer. In addition to the SR above, I also have:

83 Lotus Unique

84 Lotus Legend Compe

85 Centurion IM

87 Centurion IM Asian market

2 Sport tourers, 2 IMs and a crit bike(more or less) The 85 IM is the only one with 2 sets of water bottle bosses. Is that just a coincidence?

Edit: It must be my luck. The 82 Trek 412 I acquired within the last year only has 1 set as well.

While some touring and ATB models featured multiple bottle boss sets earlier, in general, most brands introduced them on on competition and sports models circa 1983-1985, first on the high grade models, then trickling down the brand line.

Centurion first introduced this feature for the 1984 model year, on the Turbo and Comp TA, then trickled it down to lower models in later years. Lotus also appears to have introduced this feature on it's higher end models for the 1984 model year. Trek introduced dual bottle boss sets in the 1983 model year on the 970. Miyata introduced it for the 1985 model year, on it's top three models. The earliest Schwinn examples I've seen are the 1984 model year Paramounts and Peloton. Remember, we're talking only non-touring models.

Looking at your list, the Trek is really too early for this feature. The Lotus are in the right time frame but a bit too low for early adoption (the Legend Compe must have just missed out). The only bicycle in your list that is a real surprise in the 1987 Asian market Ironman. Dual bottle sets were almost standard on mid-range models by then, at least in North America.

Last edited by T-Mar; 03-09-19 at 07:29 AM.