Old 03-11-19, 06:19 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
More braking power isn't always a plus. Granted, my experience is all with rim brakes. The single biggest upgrade I ever did for my road bikes on mountain descents was to swap regular brake levers for V-brake levers. (I did it because the V-brake levers had huge hoods that looked great for cliimbing on. Didn't realize they were V-brake levers until I had them on the bike. One of my early rides with them was up McKenzie Pass. The descent back down was fast and fun, But I came into on blind corner and realized very late that it was much tighter (and steeper) than I thought; that there was no way my pedal wasn't hitting. (I was riding fix gear.) Grabbed two fistfuls of brake, fueled by adrenaline. And nothing happened, Nothing except I slowed down very rapidly and made the corner easily. No skidding, no lock-up.. Nothing exciting. Just a really quick massive slow-down.

I now run V-brake levers on all my good bikes. There is the drawback that braking does require more effort and is not super braking from the hoods, but I have always preferred to do my big-time braking from the drops and spend a lot more time there.

So the question I'd be asking is "do I need that much power? Do I want that much power?" (You are my weight and when I toured I rode with !30-40 pounds of gear. I used centerpull brakes on one bike and cantilevers on another. They worked just fine for me. Granted I did not do mountain descents except Mt Diablo and the Oakland/Berekeley hills in CA after stealth camping (and packing quite light).

Ben