View Single Post
Old 03-12-19, 11:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5172 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't play golf, so the analogy is a little lost on me. Maybe you mean most trusted or beloved. My McLean has been with me the longest, since 1983, when it was a year old. I recently found the guy who sold it to me. I sent him a message on facebook. He was glad I'm still enjoying it. I had it Weigle-ized and repainted back in around 1991. The handling is agile and extremely predictable. I know this bike so well that it feels like it knows me. The only complaint is that it is mysteriously heavy. The original owner bought it at a trade show from the builder, and I wonder if it's not really made of 531 and he made it for show. But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But the weight doesn't cause me much trouble. It's just odd, and it deprives me of bragging rights, and that's not really a big deal.

It's really hard to capture the new color of the frame. I don't think I like any of my pictures of it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.