Old 03-16-19, 04:21 AM
ADAP7IVE

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Blue "mamachari" 3-speed, Kona Explosif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking for a New Commuter/Tourer--Recommendations?

After a couple years on a hardtail and finding it not quite to my liking, it's time to switch it out for a new bike. If possible, I'd like the bike to last as my only steed for three years of daily riding.

My commutes are 23 km round-trip and I'd like to get a bike to do similar length--and bikepacking/touring--around Japan. The things I didn't like about the hardtail were a lack of full fenders or a way to comfortably carry stuff other than in a backpack or a seatpost-mounted bag. I have nothing but good things to say about fat tires, 1x drivetrains, and the XT derailleur and SLX hydro brakes, though--they work beautifully.

Other concerns include parking and maintenance (the latter because I'm lazy and have little space): Japan is generally safe in terms of theft, so a "nicer" bike wouldn't be a no-no, but parking in racks and outside is a factor, and generally people do not take care around bicycles here. They're treated as disposable, sub-$500 items that rarely get maintenance until they seize up. For that reason, carbon is probably a bad idea. Steel or Aluminum is okay with me.

Maybe something a little lighter than a hardtail, a little more suited to commutes and long-distance (rough) road riding. Maybe something single-speed or one that could take a Rohloff IGH and fat tires (~2.0 or 45-50mm). Maybe a solid frame to build up from. I love the functionality of Shimano and it's specc'ed on everything here to the exclusion of most SRAM builds, but other than Di2 the shifters are difficult for me to operate with a right-hand disability. SRAM works better.

Current Budget: MAX ~¥650,000 JPY/$6,000 USD, but considering it's a workhorse less is better, say under $3,000.

Currently considering:

Surly Straggler, Trek Alu Checkpoint, Salsa Vaya, Cannondale Bad Boy 1 or Topstone Apex, and on the much higher/budget-killer end things like the Open UP, or shipping a Co-Motion Siskyou or Klatch from the US.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by ADAP7IVE; 03-16-19 at 04:30 AM.