Old 03-16-19, 10:13 AM
tn_roadie

Bikes: Rivendell Ram, Surly LHT, Trek E-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Help me understand your opposition to the proposed law. What are the potential pitfalls of giving them the same rights and responsibilities as bicyclists?
I'm not opposed to the way it treats "electric foot scooters". Their bill amends existing bike law rather than creating a new statute purely for their industry. I am opposed to using bicycle law that's been on the books for more than 50 years and applies to a totally different type of vehicle that have been around for more than 100 years. Scooters have been on the streets here for less than on year. Well funded corporations attempted to use existing law for their own purposes rather than create and pass new statutes that reflect the current political reality.

Cities across the country are struggling to deal with dockless bike share and scooters and it's too early to make state law that might preempt municipal rights to control local streets. The fact they thought it would be easy to shove scooters into bike law shows the political weakness of the cycling community.