Old 03-17-19, 07:21 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by SpandexSpeeder
Thanks for the response, mynewnchome. I found one on amazon for $22 along with the crank tool for a few bucks more.

But I honestly can’t tell if you guys are trolling or not with the “buy a new bike thing”. I don’t have an issue buying a $20 part and a few tools to do it myself. At the very least I see no harm spending an hour or two learning a new skill. I do have an issue with tossing out a bike that can be repaired let alone one that could get stolen/parted out when parked on campus.
i think you’ll find that your bike won’t fare well being out in the weather when you leave it on campus. Cheap bikes rust faster and have less
eobist parts and are made fraterials that don’t weather as well. Walk around a campus and look at the bikes in the rack and you’ll be able to tell that easily.

A bike for an undergrad without a car becomes sort of a mission critical piece of equipment. If it doesn’t work right, it’s worth nothing and becomes a huge hassle. Eventually it will be like all the other abandoned cheap bikes you’ll see.

But whatever “turns your crank”. Just giving you the benefit of our 12 student- years of experience with bikes on urban campuses in a northern campus subjected to all kinds of weather. . Used is a huge bargain and far better than what you have there for marginally more money.