Old 03-17-19, 08:12 PM
plasticweld

Bikes: One I paid $50 for :**

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Welcome to Bike Forums and the healing-up club. Right now I知 fairly housebound due to a heart surgery but I知 hopeful I値l now have relief from my hereditary heart problem.

Even at my worst, I could do 12 mph on a road bike. 16 mph is pretty easy for a fit person -I could do that before my symptoms got in the way - and racers do 24 mph. I知 sure you will have no problem with the endurance or speed to do 100k. The real question is whether your injury will let you.

Unlike with running, there are accurate power meters for cycling, and training plans that use them well. You can get smart trainers for that also have power meters, and you can use them with Zwift. I have been wondering if it will be something I can try now that I知 supposed to be somewhat cured. Maybe it痴 something you could try too.

I am doing about an hour a day on the trainer now, the last ten minutes are supposed to full out, most of the time I am doing well to make it 5 minutes of the full push. The pace of activity does take some getting used to, I can't figure out if it is the lack of swinging arms or if it just take more calories per hour to run than bike.

I would say good luck in your recovery, but luck has nothing to do with it. I think being an athlete in the past, and having dealt with the pain of just pushing yourself way past the point of comfort has a lot to do with how hard you push yourself when training to recover.

I do notice a common think on the boards, people ride bikes to recover and get back in shape, yet I don't see many bikers who run to improve endurance. The Tri athletes are of course the exception. I have debated about trying to get into a pool and do laps again.

Thanks for sharing your story, it is nice to know I am one of many here exploring this route to recovery. So far the only down side of the forum is the inability to say anything in any of the sub forums and topics, so far the only experience I have is in the cellar and on the trainer. I am looking forward to the day when I can say something or share something based on what I did :**