mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by plasticweld
I am doing about an hour a day on the trainer now, the last ten minutes are supposed to full out, most of the time I am doing well to make it 5 minutes of the full push. The pace of activity does take some getting used to, I can't figure out if it is the lack of swinging arms or if it just take more calories per hour to run than bike.

I would say good luck in your recovery, but luck has nothing to do with it. I think being an athlete in the past, and having dealt with the pain of just pushing yourself way past the point of comfort has a lot to do with how hard you push yourself when training to recover.

I do notice a common think on the boards, people ride bikes to recover and get back in shape, yet I don't see many bikers who run to improve endurance. The Tri athletes are of course the exception. I have debated about trying to get into a pool and do laps again.
Yes - pacing is quite different running to cycling. Cycling can be enjoyable at a talking pace. Running can be enjoyable when you stop (like hitting yourself with a hammer! .... it feels so good when you stop!).
Probably - my guess - is muscle efficiency. Eventually you will gain cycling efficiency with your cycling muscles, and the last 10 minute hard push will be extended to a 15 minute push. I've cycled with runners before, and wow - they just ..... on the bike. It's really sad. But when they run, they crank out 6 min / mile or something crazy. I've got a friend I ride with. Easy to drop him! But if we get in a pool I'm done at half a lap and he's cruising for as long as he wishes. Muscle efficiency.

I'm sprinkling in a bit of running. To get the stretching out part of it. Impacting the bones to improve bone density. Just a bit. Nothing to make all the old aches come back. Keeping to soft surfaces. Trying to run with low structure 0-drop shoes. (I guess that's still the current thinking to run injury free.... not sure.)

Curious to know if you have started adapting your stomach yet. Running I could only stomach liquids and not much. Cycling I can eat just about everything with no issues. Just about!

cheers.