Old 03-25-19, 12:34 PM
spost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atbman
A few more tips:
  • Never push the bike (a) it knackers your back and (b) you may not quite be pushing him in the direction he's steering
  • Place your hand (or even fingertips) on his upper back - maybe between his shoulder blades - this gives him sufficient flexibility of choice to learn to steer more easily while still giving him some help
  • We play the counting game on both the balance bike and when the pedals are back on. Once he starts to lift his feet off the ground for a few yards, get him to count how many seconds (very roughly) he can keep them in the air. When he's pedalling, do the same to see how long he can keep going before losing his balance. This should, in my experience, take his mind off losing his balance and focus it more on how ell he's doing and how much he's improving.
  • I've no hard and fast rule for when to switch to pedals - you'll know that much better than me as you watch him
Good luck!
Thank you for these tips! I just posted a similar question for tips about how to get him going; he's interested in biking but easily discouraged. A game is always fun and helpful!!