View Single Post
Old 03-27-19, 07:02 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I bike commute and have been running a helmet cam for 5 years. I have had encounters like yours, but not since I started recording my rides. Since then I have thought about what my response would be in a situation like yours.

Like pointing to my helmet cam and saying calmly, "Anything else you want to share with the internet?"

or, "Smile, you're on video!"

or, simply pointing at the camera and its red recording light.

...but the smart response is no response, and non-escalation.

Quite a few years ago on a wide quiet residential street I had a car with its windows down swing over close as it rushed passed and honked at me. I honked back with my AirZound Airhorn, The driver schreeched to a stop, got out and started walking back to me in a menacing manner. I stopped, pulled out my flip-phone, opened it and held it out in front of me as if I were recording a video (even though it didn't even have a camera). The woman in the passenger seat started yelling frantically for him to get back in the car, and they sped off.