Thread: Show your Trek
View Single Post
Old 03-27-19, 05:10 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prologue - '74 Schwinn Paramount P15 - '8X Davidson Impulse - '88 Land Shark Road Shark - '85 Specialized Allez SE - '81 Univega Gran Premio - '92? Bushnell Track Bike

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 48 Posts
I remember when I very recently said that various component finds for my essentially original '81 716 cemented its status as my "all original" or period correct bike. That was until I decided to consolidate my fleet and see if this frame was really as brilliant as it gave me hints of. Consolidation of frames also means consolidation of parts (that are to be employed), so I put together a "greatest hits" list of parts I had, plus some really pretty and shiny standard reach dual pivot RX100 brake calipers.

I just built myself a Cadillac. Or a Rolls. Or a Grail bike. Whatever you want, this thing is comfortable. A truly supple frame, with a top-shelf wheel and tire setup that only makes it better. Plus a B17. Plus the nicest STI generation (pre-internal cables/ever) in a 7800 pair. A nice, high riding position with no undue weight on the hands, full "road range" gearing (for me, anyway), and a bike that literally sparkles in the sunset. Out of the saddle manners are impeccable, as are in saddle manners. Steering does not dive, nor does it hesitate--it is merely hand-in-hand guiding. A top example of steel's qualities. From a ride quality/mile-crusher standpoint, this is easily the best I've built or ridden. Skip the new stuff, buy this. But not mine, because I'm not selling it.

Build List:

1981 Trek 710 frameset (originally 716 build spec), 25.5" or 65cm CTT
Dura-Ace 7400 hubs laced to high polish Mavic MA2 rims
Dura-Ace 7400 crankset (175mm) with 118mm bottom bracket (for more modern Q-factor), 53-39T
Dura-Ace 7800 10-speed STI shifters, FD, RD
11-28T 10-speed cassette
Brooks B17 saddle
Cinelli 110mm stem, 42cm (CTC) compact drop bars (with beer can shim--gotta keep it high brow!)
Soma Supple Vitesse EX 33mm tires (bought used, naturally, as with everything else here)
RX100 standard reach calipers, dual pivot

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 03-27-19 at 05:16 PM.