View Single Post
Old 03-28-19, 08:01 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I finally got this bike basically finished! I have a couple minor details to attend to...things like figuring out why there's so much shudder in the front brake (might be the NOS Weinmann pads, might need the pads toed in, might be an issue with the rim), and possibly adding a bottle cage.

It's hard to see in the outdoor pictures, but the bar tape has a red layer that shows through the perforations in the synthetic suede.

Also, the old tires that I took off were a bit undersized (27x1-1/4" tires measured at 27mm), and the modern ones of the same nominal size (Kenda Kwick Tendril Sport) measure almost exactly 32mm. This meant that the tire/fender clearance was quite tight, so I had to get a little bit creative to get every bit of clearance I could at the fork crown. I suppose I could go with narrower tires, but 28s feel skinny to me, and I end up feeling like I have to be conscious of every crack/bump in the road. More likely, I'll eventually convert to 700C.