Old 04-01-19, 08:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I'm requesting this topic get moved to: https://www.bikeforums.net/adaptive-...t-other-needs/ where similar questions come up from time to time.

Although, another cyclist recently asked a similar question here:
Leg Length Solutions

Correcting for a leg length discrepancy cycling is probably slightly different than for walking as you can correct for the leg length discrepancy in several different ways, adapting for different situations.

Keep in mind that your short leg can be short because of the femur (upper leg), or tibia (lower leg), or a combination of the two.

You can correct with:
  • Crank Length
  • Shoes
  • Pedal Blocks
  • Pedal design (to some extent)
  • Perhaps also seat adjustment, and just how you are holding the pedals.

You might choose a combination of methods.

In the other thread, I had suggest looking for an ultra thin pedal for the long leg, and a more chunky pedal for the short leg... just as a starting point.

What some people have said is that they don't need to be 100% corrected, but going to 50% corrected or so seems to be good enough.

Of course, if you wish to just wear your corrective shoes, then leave everything else the same, and look for just a good pair of pedals. Your local bike shop should help you with options.

Probably a new MTB style pedal with "pins".

As far as hyper-extending the knee. For now, I'd set your seat a little bit low, so it is less likely that you'll 100% straighten the knee.