WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Painting/modifying Schwinn World Voyageur

Just purchased a '73 Schwinn World Voyageur. Previous owner worked in a Schwinn shop (like me) and was Schwinn factory-trained (unlike me) so mechanically its pretty sound. He put on Dura Ace side-pull brakes from '73 (though he included the original center pulls). I'd like to clean this up to near-original condition, with some differences to allow for riding the thing. Here's the plan:

1) Paint is in poor shape - chipped, scraped, etc. Plan on stripping, polishing the chrome, then painting with orange paint and new/repro decals.
2) Generally, disassemble and clean/polish, relube and (as necessary) replace stuff. I'm hoping that the wheel bearing cups and cones are ok.
3) Replace tires (which are original, but which are bulging), probably with Panaracer gumwalls.
4) Clean and polish up all parts. How do people generally handle vintage wheels and hubs? Disassemble and rebuild the wheel?

So first, comments? Next question: Does anyone have a color match number for "Kool Orange" that these frames were painted with? One hint was that it was possibly GM "Hugger Orange", which is color code 990, or WA3959. But on some sites this looks to be red-orange, not orange-orange. I'm thinking of using the spray-max system. Anyone use this? Type 1K or 2K?

Thanks!