Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Regardless of what people tell you, "nothing" is very doable and enjoyable
Disagree strongly. Doing "nothing" every day soon becomes a routine, just like going to work every day was, and you can (very easily) adjust to the new work-free schedule in a few weeks. You adjust your expectations, and have about the same number of "good days" and "bad days" relatively speaking. Boredom becomes an issue and your mind starts inventing problems out of things that didn't used to bother you.

Terrible things the neighbors are doing, real or imagined health issues, noise, finances, relatives, pets, politics, family issues, inactivity, idleness, isolation, relationships with other people, whatever. You will find plenty of things to worry, obsess, and stress-out about. Doing nothing can become every bit as draining as going to work every day. And an idle life without a "purpose" (i.e., going to some stupid job every day) is fertile ground for depression, so it often takes a toll on your mental health too.

So I think "doing nothing" is highly overrated. Don't believe me? Don't get out of bed for a week, and see what happens.