Old 04-03-19, 07:51 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
But let's be honest, the majority of adults in the US do not
walk to work even given the opportunity and I see precious little foot traffic on sidewalks.

Are you really advocating for Amsterdam-type bike paths on the scale of the Interstate highway system? Others have mentioned that even in the Netherlands, bikes ride on the roads once you travel outside of Amsterdam and the like.
OK, first, I've biked on roads INSIDE Amsterdam and Copenhagen too. I did not die. This idea that you need door-to-door bike infrastructure is ludicrous.

But second, you are flat out wrong about the long distance travel on bikes in either Netherlands or Denmark. Just look into riding between Amsterdam Centraal and Rotterdam Centraal. Not sure why I'd ride a bike the 75K between the two, I'd rather bring my bike on the train, but....

How about a more rational excursion Amsterdam to Utrecht, only 50K.

Up for a double metric century? Amsterdam to Groningen?

How about a really pleasant short ride, from Copenhagen to Louisiana Museum of Modern Art. Enjoy the outdoors, enjoy the art in the indoors, enjoy the art in the outdoors.

While planing your routes, figure out how many km's you spend on the roads. More importantly, ask what kinds of roads you are riding on.

Closer. Which house is that? Both my wife and I remember those roads from our visits.
That's just somebody's house. They just happen to live in one of the many new farmless houses around. (I live in a new farmless house too.)

-mr. bill