Old 04-04-19, 11:13 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post

Amazing, huh? So “scary” on Street View, but so not scary in real life. There are some 50 km/h streets along some low traffic waterways. But I’ll ask you, do you ever ride anywhere on a 100 km/h (~65 mph) roads?

The illumination-industrial complex here says that’s fine so long as LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT....

-mr. bill
No, of course not. There's a minimum speed of 50 km/h and it's for motor vehicles only. I don't care that much about legality, but there is a good reason for it too.

Originally Posted by Caliper View Post
Hmmm, ctrl+F, nope I never said boondocks anywhere above so I'll leave you to your strawman. I said that reports are (and street view agrees) that there are not always bike paths outside the city.
Streetview is made by cars with camera's driving around, and they are not allowed on bike paths. It's gonna take a while before google has the entire cycling network covered with bike camera's.

Anyways, there's a difference between riding past what is essentially a commercial farm and riding through a forest that hasn't been touched in a lifetime. I've looked back and forth along the route between Amsterdam and Groningen using street view and while it is quite scenic, I can't find a single spot where I don't see another car, buildings, etc. It looks nice to visit, but not a spot I'd want to live, which was my initial point on entering this thread.
You'd have to go by bike for those spots. But it's all managed, primary forests have been gone in Western-Europe for ages anyway, but forests in the Netherlands have their designated sq.meters, to the meter precise and are protected and kept, same with heath or dunes. And of course there's little nature for many people so the chance of seeing another human beeing is real. There's always light pollution in the sense that the sky doesn't get really dark and the stars don't get bright. For the absence of man made sounds you have to bike quite far. And even there you'll find paths and sometimes a sign, or a pole camp site, which is just a pole with a tap, but it is connected to drinkwater net.

Here in the North, which isn't densily populated, there's a tidal area with a few small islands and I go sailing there quite regularly. It's a national park and a Unesco natural heritage site but even there when the low tide grounds the boat at night there's always some other boat in the distance also spending the night on the bottom, there are always lights in the distance, there are even 'traffic lights' in the water. I'm not a nature/great wide open kind of guy but it got to me too once. So on a calm summer day I sailed out of the tidal area into the North Sea, only to keep oil rigs in sight. Then the weather changed and it is only a 7 yard boat with less than 10 inches draught so it got pretty scary and I chickened out before ever beeing alone.

So you got a point there. The density is also affecting the non populated area's. The flipside is that nature is very close, that tidal area is within an hour's drive, if I ride 10 km I probably can pat a cow next to the bike path (farmers are part of nature preservation too), sometimes there's a flock of sheep going through the city centre, there's just no great wide open. It's not great, not very wide and some of it isn't even open to the public to not disturb the wildlife.