Thread: Brandon McNulty
View Single Post
Old 04-06-19, 05:48 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
This may not happen as soon as 2020. He is being groomed as a more GC guy than a TT guy. Which is how he managed a 4th place in the hill climb today.
We may see slower world ITT performances and jumping to a GC roll, rather than a helper roll. 2020 might be soon. I would have Brandon wait until he can lead a team and be THE guy, not a guy.
There was one WT team there this week. One that could not hold/or didn't think they could hold/or was told not to hold his wheel.
If he can the THE guy for a team in 2020 - go for it - maybe. But there are more teams needing that type of rider Brandon is becoming, so waiting one more year may be wise. Nobody called and asked me, just my thoughts.
It depends on what you mean by "GC". If you mean GC in grand tours, it's hard to imagine that anybody could lead a WT team for a 3 week stage race without having ridden that kind of race before as a domestique. Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I don't think people can get ready for that kind of challenge by doing 1 week stage races at a lower level.

The world is his oyster, but I think if he aspires to make his mark on the WT, he needs to ride at the WT level as an apprentice before he leads. But I admit, I'm no expert and I do know that the WT chews people up and demoralizes them if they get in the wrong situation.