Old 04-10-19, 03:40 AM
metro2005

Bikes: Cube travel pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I have been off a bike for many years and about three years ago, now retired, I decided to get back on a bike. I have been riding a Hybrid, Quick 7 & 3 now for about a year and a half of the three as it is about the only style I can ride due to my physical limitations and am enjoying it tremendously. I just finished reading through the thread "First bike need some pointers" and the recurring theme of "they are OK if you are only going to ride ten miles or less" was said over and over. What is the reason for this milage wall that has been imposed on this style of bike and why doesn't it, the bike, do anything good? I ride 15-18 miles and the only limiting factor are my legs. Being 70 I have a limit to my physical strength but I am working on that. Not trying to be confrontational but seriously curious as to why the imaginary 10 mile limit?
Frank.
I ride more than 10 miles regularly on my hybrid without any issues. I even rode that thing up the Mont ventoux, 17 miles of climbing at a 7.5% average gradient (and yes, i did get a lot of funny faces because i was literally the only one who didn't ride on a roadbike but hey) and i've done bike holidays with it where i rode it 40-50 miles a day.

.It might require less energy if you ride on a roadbike but a hybrid is usually more comfortable and a hybrid is not afraid of some light offroading so it all depends on what you want.

Last edited by metro2005; 04-10-19 at 03:45 AM.