Old 04-10-19, 12:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I still don't have a job to commute to. Still searching.

Last night, I had my weekly singing rehearsal. I've fallen in love with my track racing bike. I built it and raced it in summer of 2014 and hadn't ridden it since then, until now. It gives a harsh ride with those 22mm tires and everything else. But it's fun. I would have thought that the gear ratio would be hard to deal with, but it isn't. I'm running 46/15, which is an 83-inch gear. It takes a minute to get up to speed, but it's not hard, and I don't feel like I'm wrecking my knees. I think I have a preferred cadence without being conscious of it. I never measure it. And since I'm geared high, I spin up to it and ride faster than normal. My normal speed in traffic is 12 mph, and a lot of that is because of lights and hazards. But last night, I averaged 14.6 mph on the way out in daylight and 14.1 mph on the way back in the dark. Wow, that's a big difference. It did seem there was a big margin of speed between me and everyone else, but I didn't feel a bigger effort. The bike is light, of course.

I have a front brake on it, because I'm not crazy, so I can brake as well as everyone else.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.