View Single Post
Old 04-11-19, 12:38 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
First 20k down on this "klunker".

Our first adventure together was this morning's commute, winds out of east steady at 20 and gusting 40, a real puke-fest. I almost wish I hadn't ridden it today, had a little fair bit of drama figuring out the saddle height/angle.

Kind of cool that it has the factory (or factory option) odometer on the front wheel, will make it easy to track the 100k (well, I guess 62 miles in this case).

While I really really liked the paper-thin super supple skinwalls that were on the bike, they weren't rotted but were definitely a little dry and I didn't trust them to survive my commute so I put on a set of 27" x 1 1/4" Bontrager T1s that I put about 4,000 miles on, on a different bike. They're trusty tires, don't puncture much and still appear to have some good life left in them. For sure they're a little heavy and the ride is a little less inspiring now, but this bike really rides and handles super duper. I'd pay $10 for a set of used tires like these. Bar tape is recycled from a past project bike, was in my parts drawer. I'll put my total so far at $55.

Since I'm a commuter and put in a lot of miles, and since the bike was so cheap and easy so far, I'm thinking about changing up the rules of the challenge for myself and requiring that I keep the bike on the road for the remainder of the 100 days while still keeping the total below $100. But I need a little time to get acquainted with it and see if it really rings my bell, ya know?

That was a great Score glad to see you picked it up, nothing like the crucible of the daily commute to reveal what adjustments are needed, likes dislikes and if the bike is a keeper. From the catalog shot appears to be an 1983 in Smoky Pearl with factory racks.

Last edited by ryansu; 04-11-19 at 01:22 PM.