View Single Post
Old 04-15-19, 03:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6093 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 85 Posts

You guys are amazing.

I have Shimano BR-RS805 calipers with Shimano ST-R785RL hydraulic Di2 levers. I'm changing the calipers to Hope RX4. Why is my own business.

The Hope calipers use Shimano mineral oil fluid. Fluid compatibility is not my concern but feel free to argue about it if it makes you happy.

My specific concern is disassembly and reassembly of the fittings at the caliper. I do not intend to cut off the fittings and would do so if the hoses were long enough, but they are not. I intend to remove the fittings from the hose and reuse the hose as is.

It is not a banjo type fitting. It is an insert, olive and 8mm(ish) hydraulic hose fitting.

Does installing the insert, olive and fitting on the end of the hose compress the hose or deform it in such a way as to render it unusable a second time? If the fittings on the hose are assembled and disassembled, can new fittings be placed on the same hose end a second time and expected to reliably hold pressure and not leak?

By the way, @DrIsotope. Thank you.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-15-19 at 03:39 PM.