Old 04-15-19, 06:19 PM
enveous
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Your counterpoints are argumentative but unrealistic. Not all cameras have fine adjustable FOV capability.
Not unrealistic. Just the facts. His camera, like the GoPros (and others) that I've used to do exactly what he wants to do, allow the user to select the FOV.

All of my points make no assumptions and are valid and more practical than not. For one, his retention system is designed to fit comfortably snug, not as a tourniquet.
Nah, all of your points are based on assumptions that you've made whereas the points that I've made are based on a couple of decades worth of experience mounting videos cameras to the sides of helmets. Including Giro helmets with roc locs to stabilize them. "Tourniquet" is a bad analogy since the roc loc tightens on the skull, not the neck (where the arteries are).

Second, I should point out that a camera mounted sideways would also be angled improperly resulting in an unnatural view of the sky and ground rather than to the sides where it would be most needed.
I don't know where you got this false notion that anyone is suggesting that cameras would be mounted sideways. I never suggested that. I have posted about cameras being mounted to the side of a helmet.

The alternative would be to add an angled mount which would add even more weight (as would a counterweight) in addition to extending the camera further away from the helmet increasing the imbalance even further.
The OP doesn't need any extenders or angled mounts for his Sony. In addition, if mounting arms are needed for something like the GoPro, it's no big deal. I captured a bunch of video that way, without issue. Have you ever actually tried it or are you just making assumptions and speculating again?

Here's a screen grab that shows what it can look like when a GoPo is mounted to the side of a helmet. No obstruction, contrary to your claim above:

Finally, your point of smother movement is completely incorrect since the center mount offers the greatest amount of stability -- its in the center.
Yeah, you truly don't know what you're trying to post about. Top mount results in much greater vertical movement of the camera and results in shakier video. That's something that I learned first hand when I first started capturing helmet-mounted video in the late 90s.

In the "real world" limitations, compromises, and exceptions always exist. I hope I've demonstrated that above.

Nah, all you've demonstrated is that you're making assumptions that don't jive with the real world experience of someone who has actually done something that you're merely speculating about.

Last edited by enveous; 04-15-19 at 06:32 PM.