View Single Post
Old 04-16-19, 12:45 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I do suggest one of the modern "puncture resistant" tires for these bikes. Simply since it's such a bear to remove the rear wheel. I have Continental Tour Rides on mine. One other thing. These came with a 16T cog on the AW hub. For me at least, that's insanely tall even with the 46T chainring. I use a 22T cog on mine. In fact, I'm pretty sure every other DL-1 rider I know from this thread gears their bikes down from the original 16T cog.
Well put @BigChief . Shortly after I put my DL1 on the road with some supposedly nos Duro tires, I had a number of flats (mostly rear) before I purchased some new 40-635 Schwalbe Marathons and have not had a flat since. It was taking well over an hour of much unpleasantness to change a rear tire on my full chaincase model. Sir Wayes A. Tonne pictured when I got it a few years ago.
The recent mistake I made with the "28x1 1/2" rabbit hole"

on the 3 speed Royal Nord has left me with 2 new Vredestein Active Tour 2.0 Puncture Resistant 40-635 tires and a new Schwalbe Marathon I don't have any use for. Tires are a pain to ship so I will try to sell to an Ontario colleague who might have trouble finding them. I second the Kool stops as well.