CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Something like this, I think.

Some folks think bike lanes are the answer .... and in a lot of places, they are. In urban environments with lot so complicated intersections, on-street parking, alley driveways, and such .... probably still helpful sometimes. But the only real answer is driver awareness, and good luck with that.

Mandatory bike lanes can help---except when taking a lane is needed. ("The bike lane was full of broken glass, sand, and tree limbs." "This current picture shows it is not." "Well, that day it was." "Too bad, the drunk cell-phone user who hit you says you weren't in the bike lane, so you are guilty.") And can you imagine how the MUP part of the law might be interpreted? "The cyclist had no right riding on the road when there was an MUP just 100 yards away!" "The MUP doesn't go from where I was to where I needed to be." "You didn't use it, as mandated by law. Guilty!"
A Hit&Run driver who side swiped me on a narrow downhill lane while I was traveling 30 MPH on a 35 road, claimed it was my fault to the police, court and his insurance because I was not in the bike lane. There is no bike lane on that road, just an shoulder that varies between 2 feet to a very narrow 6 inches wide. The insurance investigator had to admit in court that there was no bike lane and that I was cycling legally while taking the full lane. During a subsequent civil trial, I even proved the husband committed perjury in criminal court when a judge asked him if he had ever been in trouble with the law before and the guy said NO. Hit&Run was later forced to admit in court that he had been convicted of a DUI.

The Hit&Run driver was in such a rush because he and his wife were late getting their kid into town for private school. The wife was in the back seat helping the 9 year old with homework that was not done the night before. My life was unimportant to the parents. The fairy tale ending is, the kid actually turned out good and respects cyclist.