View Single Post
Old 04-16-19, 02:16 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I think a threshold question would be how important a priority walking normally would be for you, because the highest-performing pedal / shoe combos generally sacrifice the ability to walk any distance beyond a couple hundred yards in them, should you get a mechanical. I don't always ride with my phone, so I want something I can walk a few miles in should I break down. For that reason, I started using the original SPD pedals, those combined with shoes that have recessed cleats for walking. This was in the early 90's and I have never found a reason to switch to anything else.

Or you could go with flats, but I can't pedal a bike very efficiently on flats, I like to pull in every possible direction when I get jiggy on the bike, so those would never work. I used clips and straps for a long time, but don't like the loss of circulation and numbness in my feet caused by the straps. And I like to be able to walk a fair distance and avoid slipping, so that rules out pretty much everything else (I don't know of any recessed "walkable" cleats other than SPD, but there may well be something).

The orignal SPD's are everywhere, and the cleats and pedals from the knock-offs are interchangeable with the Shimano ones. SPD's have become an "open source" standard for clipless pedals that every manufacturer uses. They would be my recommendation, it really seems like a no-brainer, unless there is something else out there I haven't heard about.