View Single Post
Old 04-19-19, 03:55 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr View Post
First, to answer the post above yours, it does have a megarange freewheel. I believe it looks like 34T. I understand the difference between a Canadian Tire bike and my mountain bike which has Tiagra/Sora parts and my flat-bar road bike which has Deore/Alivio parts. As a matter of fact, I may regrease my winter bike which is a Canadian Tire bike (which has not seen bad weather yet) because the other day when I was on it, it practically wouldn't even coast down a hill (not very steep I mean). I've done this before because the grease they use is like this thick jello substance.

The main reason why I'd chose this to modify it is because a frame and fork like this is just rare. I mean there's sufficient clearance there even with the standard 2.35" tires. This means I'd likely be able to use 2.4" Super Moto-X tires (62mm) and SKS Bluemels 75 U fenders (which can take 65mm tires). And it still has the rear rack eyelets. The challenge might be to find cheap custom wheels for it (with 32mm inner width rims and maybe Deore hubs). But I would definitely change the bars, stem, shifter, grips, brake levers, seatpost clamp, seatpost and tires. Then I'd add fenders, bell and bottle cage.

I just recalculated my budget for the next couple of months though. And it looks like I can't do it. I might be able to do one order for parts but then they'd stay in boxes for months while I'm waiting for the money to get the bike. So, whatever I guess...
You seem to understand well what you're getting into. So that's cool.