View Single Post
Old 04-19-19, 06:31 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
...I always wanted to put a FD on it so when I saw the Terns with FD's as stock I didn't even think about how that shakes out compared to a 1x10. I'm not hard to please.

...My question was mainly to see if anyone would try to enforce the implied warranty on the Giant Expressway, get another, and call it good, or use this as an opportunity to take a different path....
If it were me, I'd ask a Giant dealer to honor the warranty. You say you are happy with the ride and the way you use the Expressway. Why spend money you don't have to?

As far as adding an FD, it was relatively easy on my Dahon Speed which came equipped with a 1x7, 52x14-28 freewheel. I found the gearing too wide for the riding I was doing, but I didn't want to give up a low gear when I needed it.

Originally I replaced the original crank with a mid-90s Shimano 105 double (53-42) and the freewheel with an 8 speed Sachs Aris 12-24. Since I wanted drop bars I used Shimano 105 bar end shifters. I found that shifting was better in friction mode.

This winter, I found an ebay deal on a 20" freehub rear wheel and now I'm running a 12-26 9 speed cassette (same shifters and crankset). I experimented with going to a SRAM Rival RD and a modified Tern RD adapter for the Neos RD set-up. However the Shimano 105 bar ends could not pull the Rival across the entire 9 speed cassette range. I ended up using a mid-90s 105 RD instead. I'm on the lookout for a bargain on SRAM 10 speed bar end shifters.

Best of luck on your decisions!

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com