gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
The ride continues

Oregon City has a unique feature: a munincipal elevator connecting two neighborhoods, one near the river, the other on a cliff high above.

We wheel our bikes in 3 or 4 at a time for the vertical ride. Looking back in the picture below is longtime bicycle rider, Pedalpalooza organizer and all around great gal @BicycleKitty sporting a dress and riding a 1950's era Ross 3 speed. Don't let the attire fool you, she was one of the strong finishers of the 2nd annual attack of North Trask "death ride" a few years back.

A very short ride further up the hill we come to a vista point where we view the Willamette Falls Locks.

A short, quick downhill and we reach a Scottish pub, where I was too busy perusing the beer menu, eating and conversing with my fellow riders to take any pictures! I ended up leaving before the party was over as I had some family commitments. A few miles riding and I brought my bike onto Portland's fairly new north-south MAX line; a proper hook awaited my bike to shorten the route home.

Our pace was slow, we stopped a lot for long periods of time (compared to what I'm used to), but it was all around fun.

If you have a 3 speed, or are thinking of getting one, I'd highly recommend joining the Society of Three Speeds. The swag is great, too! Shawn does all of his own graphics by hand. Postcards are hand written. He's as old school as it gets.

Last edited by gugie; 04-21-19 at 10:21 AM.