View Single Post
Old 04-21-19, 05:06 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another Grand Touring. Yellow shows all the chips, scrapes and rust so well.
Serial number is 1923405
Inside BOTH rear dropouts 64716
A73 on the outside of the left dropout. (There are other numbers on the lugs and dropouts that I would think are frame angles.)
Two city bicycle license stickers the older is 1972-1973 the newer is dated 1981-1982.
sorry, no full bike photo. Started parting it out before I took photos.
Not in the photos: Weinman center pull brakes, Suntor shifter and derailleurs (date codes of OJ 1972-0ct and OK 1972-Nov - thank you vintage-trek.com ), Stronglight 49D crankset. Lyotard alloy flat pedals. Normandy hubs, alloy rims, Pivo alloy stem & alloy bars.
The frame certainly does NOT live up to the "Grand" name that I'd normally associate with the far nicer Grand Record. I'd say it's the same frame as a Nomad or Mirage. 1020 tubing, sheet metal lugs and stamped dropouts. Same basic frame as the entry level but some upscale parts. (reminds me of the Raleigh "Super" Record or the Raleigh "Super" Gran(d) Prix from the same era)

I'd put this as a 1973 model despite the model number decoding to 1977 as suggested in the post just before this one and the late season Suntour parts. No idea when Motobecane switched production vs model years. The parts match the catalog specs for 1973. There were quality lowering changes in 1974 specs. Could the 3rd digit indicate a frame size or frame style? I have a Mirage Mixte that is 35717 (posted above)

PS, the frame is way to big for me. If you want it, let me know. Could be a fun single speed/fixie project.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 04-21-19 at 05:31 PM.