View Single Post
Old 04-23-19, 06:38 AM
RicePudding

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Giant Talon 2 (2010, RIP)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fsa Omega "Self-extracting" crank

Over the Easter weekend I was doing some routine maintenance and wanted to take apart my bottom bracket and give it a good clean now that the worst part of winter is out of the way.

However, I have had a hard time with the FSA Omega crank that came on my Toughroad GX1. I am aware of how these cranks are meant to make life easier by simply unwinding the centre bolt and the bolt should push against the retaining ring and apply enough force to pull the crank arm away from the spindle.

Unfortunately it didn't work this way, I began to unwind the bolt and heard a bit of a crunch. The retaining ring has sheared in half and now the crank arm is stuck on the spindle. Half of the retaining ring shell is still stuck inside.

I'm guessing that the crank now belongs with the crackers and pickle as it appears to be made of something that would go well with them.

Anyone had this trouble before?

I know I'm going to have to negotiate it off at some point now but I'm guessing it's ruined and I should be on the market for a new set. I bought a spare retaining ring in case I can get it off but I think a lot of damage will be caused in removal.