View Single Post
Old 04-24-19, 09:44 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
The whole "vintage" concept is slippery. If you think of it like model years- you think of the features that were available and popular for that year. It's not so much that it's "old" or that it's a "1958," but the unique features and components and manufacturers and quirks that made that model year unique.

Looking at the guitar analogy above- in 1965 Fender was bought out by CBS- collectors use that as a cutoff- "pre-CBS" For 1960s guitars- those are usually guitars with serial numbers that start with the letter L. An L serial number generally defines a Pre-CBS guitar, even though the L serial number plates were used for almost a year after the sale to CBS.

In the case of Fender Stratocasters- the headstock shape changed at least 4 times between 1964 and 1974- to me the big change is in 68/69 going to the big gaudy leisure suit headstock... If'n I were to buy a Strat- I would look for one that has more of the "classic" more graceful early 60s shape.

With bikes- Model years change characteristics- model numbers change, material and components change... in 1985 the Trek 720 was the outrageously expensive King **** touring bike- in the early 90s, the 720 model number was used on a 'just above entry level' hybrid bike.

To me, steel frames with level top tubes, silver components, relatively subdued graphics are hallmarks of "classic" bikes, that just happen to be "vintage." There's more and less to it- and while there are bikes that are currently made with a lot of the hallmarks of "vintage" bikes- the major manufacturers are not making bikes like that for the great majority of the general public.

IMO and all that.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.