AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Touring bike? Try it, you'll like it!

The only real downside is the weight of the bike. At my weight, though, the difference in full load weight (me + bike + accessories + food and water) falls into the negligible category. I started noticing the extra bike weight about 20 miles before the end of my last 300k, and the last 50 miles of the 400k.
I'm currently 225 lbs at just a smidge over 6" tall. Aiming for sub 200lbs by the end of the year. And not really looking at anything longer than 200-300kilometer brevets until next year.

Pluses: room for wider (than racing) tires and fenders, you can get the bars up so you're not limited by flexibility (and neck loads), low gearing for the hills those insane brevet riders like to throw in to the course.
I've grown very fond of the the 3-chainring options more common on touring bikes I've seen.

As small as 26-36 on my Marin Muirwoods and 22-34 on my mtn bike.

Unless you're very lucky in where you live, you'll find you're spending a fair bit of change on travel -- gas, motels, and food -- if you really get into randonneuring. At that point you can assess if you want to spend more on a better bike.
The price range really is the biggest limit but touring and bike packing is something I will be undertaking next year when we move back west so it might be a good longterm investment too-- and possibly worth increasing the budget by a few hundred bones.

But for your first 200k, a touring bike is a good choice. It's also good for commuting and better for weekend road rides than the mountain bike you've got now.
Can't disagree with you there. But the hum of 2inch nobbies on pavement is somehow comforting.

I switch between the mtn bike and a Marin Muirwoods 29er on 700x38 road tires. The 29er has slightly more aggressive geometry though, and my upper body fatigues earlier with just the flat bar.