Old 01-25-06, 06:30 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by hound-dog
I bought this book called Atomic Zombie's bicycle Builder's Bonanza and built a winter bike called The Hammerhead. Had a friend help me put together the steering, but it's a great bike. No amuont of snow slows me down and my car has spent most of the winter in the driveway. Glad I found that book! The guy has a web site called Atomic Zombie Extreme Machines.

Anybody got a design suggestion for a trailer that's good for pulling behind a bike in winter? Thanks a bunch.
I took a look at the Hammerhead. It's a trike. Trikes are lousy in the snow compared to two wheel bikes with studded knobbies.

All amounts of snow will slow you down, a lot more than a bike!

Making three tracks in the snow compared to one is terrible. Having about 1/3 of your weight on the back wheel in ideal conditions is lousy compared to a two wheel bike having 1/2 or more. If the terrain is uneven when using a trike the traction is even worse.
A MTB with knobbies will be better in snow, and with studs will be better on ice. If the snow is too deep and you have to lift or pull the bike, the trike is much worse too. Going between trees in the woods is tough also with a trike. It can be useful on the road, but in any snow it's going to be much more work, and have poor traction. If you are going to pull a trailer in much snow over an inch, switch to a two wheeled bike and get a one wheel trailer. Forget pulling a trailer in 5" of snow with that thing. Try riding that trike in 5" of snow.

Google " ICEBIKE"