View Single Post
Old 04-24-19, 11:46 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
Removing pedals that don't want to go.

This probably has been covered before but it worked so well I had to pass it on.

I've bought nice old classic bikes for very little and usually found out later why they were so cheap. I spent two days hand hacksawing a frozen seat post on a really nice $100 Jamis Quest recently. This time I checked the seat post before handing over the cash. The silly looking pedals and the normal consumables looked like easy fixes.
The silly plastic pedals however we're not budging. No amount of force would induce them to move. After removing the crank arms and pedal body and trying everything I could think of I grabbed my cherished "superbe" cranks from my parts bin and contemplated the correct bb axel size to work with that particular front derailleur. Putting that crank on an mid-range "Giant" frame didn't really sit right so I tried one more thing. I got out my propane tortch and thouroughly heated the crank near the pedal spindle. Easy peesy out they came! Very little effort was needed to unscrew the spindles and after greasing up some nice pedals that came off my personal ride (an '85 Cannondale SR500) some time ago, I was home free.

I suppose this is old news to many here but to me it made my morning.