Old 04-26-19, 07:17 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Cl904
It’s all been downhill since c-record.
It is OK to long for the aesthetics of the past. There is, however, a great deal to be said for the functionality, performance and yes, even beauty of the new.

My 1989 Bottecchia was originally equipped with a modified Campy Croce de Aune groupset.

Aesthetically, those components were gorgeous, especially the rear derailleur. Performance-wise, however, they didn’t always work as well as they looked. The brakes, for example, were rubbish, especially in the rain. I had more than a few pucker-up moments trying to haul my bike to a complete stop while bombing it going down a steep hill.

If you wanted to make changes to the front chain ring gearing you couldn't do it, unless you changed the crank arms as well.

And the DT shifters were pretty to look at, but a pain to work during climbs (there are lots of hills where I live and ride so climbing is always in the menu).

Granted, the look of the new cCampy components is not everyone’s cup of tea, or grappa, but there is a beauty to the shape of the carbon crankarms that is very pleasing. The skeleton brakes have a purposeful look and the brifters/hoods combination look sexy IMHO.

In terms of functionality, the new Campy 11s group is awesome. The brakes are easily modulated and grab when they need to grab. The shifts are smooth, quick and crisp. And I can change chainrings without resorting to getting new crank arms.

I love the past but I also embrace the present and the future.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia: