View Single Post
Old 04-26-19, 09:30 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I always just assume that people who claim "15-20 years" out of a pair of pedals ride perhaps 1,000 miles a year-- unless we're talking SPD-SL type, with the big plastic triangle. The cleats wear out, the pedals not so much. Because I seem to get about 10k miles out of a pair of "metal on metal" pedals before the squidging and squeaking sets in, and I buy another pair.

Pedals are absolutely wear items IMO. Got 9k miles out of my last pair of SPDs, then came the squeaking. Tried three different sets of SPD cleats (Look, Wellgo, and Shimano,) none corrected it. So they went in the spares bin and new pedals went on.

I have a pair of Look S-Tracks on one bike closing in on that 9k mark, figure it's only a matter of time before they go in the parts bin as well.
Yikes. What are you riding through--diamond dust?

IME, squeaking on SPD means it is probably close to new cleat time....which is a $10 fix for SPD versus $100 for a new set of pedals. Cup/cones on say SPD pedals need an adjustment and a shot of grease every now and again.

Just tossing out pedals that can be serviced inexpensively is, as you've found wasteful and expensive.