Old 04-26-19, 06:23 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
The battery should be good for 25a but the BMS is cutting it on safety. How many amps is the controller? Is the computer a single speed or does it have power settings (usually 3 or 5 speeds plus walk speed)? A computer can lower the output, and that should stop it cutting out.

As Pierce says, there should be a 3-pin plug for a PAS sensor - the one for the throttle won't work. If no such provision, then no option.

PAS sensors vary in responsiveness, depending how many magnets they have. Eight are better than five, naturally. Plus the computer may have settings for this - the Risunmotor KT-3 screen i use has loads of settings to tailor everything to how you like it. This includes being able to switch the throttle for use only when the pedals are turning, to comply with the law. And even vary the response on pedal start-up, so you have a soft start or fast start when the pedals start turning...

I suspect your issue is it's going full power, and your controller amps are too much for your battery management - a throttle-only controller is one most likely to be too strong for a 10ah battery. It should have a specification sticker on it, stating it's max amps.

I'd find another controller, with a low amp rating (peak 25a max for a 30a battery) and a PAS output.

Alternatively, use a second battery and wire them inline so you have double the amps at the same voltage. I've done this, with a pair of 15ah batteries supplying over 2,000w via a 45a controller.

Last edited by MikeyMK; 04-26-19 at 06:39 PM.