gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4680 Post(s)
Liked 5,798 Times in 2,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
I know you're not asking how to fix the dents but small dents can be repaired with bodyfiller and a file to bring it back to round but the best way to fill the hole is to remove the paint from the area and bronze fill the dent but this takes some nerve and skill so a hole isn't blown into the tube with the 'Oxy' torch. Either way, the tube will need re-painting.

I wouldn't use bronze to fill a dent. The temperatures you need to get to are significantly higher than silver-based filler, the tube is pretty thin right there to start with, and I'd be worried about putting a hole in it. I've had 100% success rounding the tube out using aluminum frame blocks and grease as best possible, cleaning and filling the remaining small dent with 50% silver with a tiny flame, and just melting the filler so it stays proud of the dent. Fine file and sand it smooth.

frame blocks and grease, roll it back and forth to remove most of the dent

Silver filled dents