Old 04-29-19, 02:18 PM
gugie 
Crapmaster Emeritus

Bikes: JP Weigle'd Raleigh Competition reconstruct, 73 Raleigh Competition 650b'ed, 96 Bike Friday NWT, 83 Lotus Classique, 78 Centurion ProTour, 73 Raleigh Grand Sports

Mentioned: 775 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 32 Posts
A final tought, @johnnyace was at the front of our little gruppetto for a good period of the day, wearing non-cycling shorts and a pair of deck shoes pushing some rat trap pedals, no clips. All day we were passing grillion dollar plastic bikes. There were a total of maybe two hills, each was maybe 100 feet of climbing. I passed someone in full lycra pushing an expensive plastic bike, and it was all I could do to not ask "how much did you pay for that thing?"

The first mile or so was treacherous, big groups of bikes wandering around on the road. A quarter mile in I saw a woman on a brand new bike laying down sideways, clipped into her pedals, not knowing how to get out. I think Johnny stopped and helped her out. I believe it's a huge disservice overselling beginner cyclists and making them think that they need to have clipless pedals to ride a bike. From what I saw it appeared to be that way.

We saw a nice LeJeune, a Della Santa, and a Jack Taylor tandem that I'd seen before two years ago when we rode this thing, but other than that it felt that we were singularly holding down the C&V fort out on the course.